Last updated: July 18, 2019
Processing of your data
NordLocker processes user data to a limited scope – for provision of the Services, processing of payments for the Services, as well as the functioning of the NordLocker website and mobile applications. We process the following basic information:
Information for creating your account
- Email address. We ask for your email address as part of your registration. It is necessary for establishing a NordLocker account.
- Payment data (if using Premium Services). It is necessary to collect payments from you when you use our Premium Services. In addition to the conventional payment methods, such as credit card, you can buy the NordLocker Services with cryptocurrency. Our payment processing partners process basic billing information for payment processing and refund requests (such as date of purchase, card owner's name and surname, and credit card information).
- Email address. We use your email address to: i) send you important updates and announcements related to your use of our Services; ii) respond to your requests or inquiries; iii) send you offers, surveys and other marketing content (you can opt out of those at any time).
- Email optimization data. We use various tools to help us optimize our emailing campaigns. These tools may collect information about you, such as IP address, location, and device information as well as track actions such as unsubscribe or email forward.
Information collected on our website
- Access logs. As most websites on the internet, our website collects access logs (such as IP address, browser type, and operating system) to operate our services and ensure their reliable and robust performance. This information is also essential for fighting against DDoS attacks, scanning and similar hacking attempts.
- Cookies. Cookies, pixels and other similar technologies are usually small text or image files that are placed on your device when visiting our website. Some cookies are essential for our website to operate smoothly; others are used to improve website functionalities or analyze aggregated usage statistics in order to improve website performance (as in the case of Google Analytics cookies). You can check what cookies we use in the detailed cookie table that is accessible here.
- Social media platforms and widgets. Our website may include social media features, such as the Facebook Like button, to help you share our content more easily. These features may collect information about your IP address and which page you are visiting on our website, and they may set a cookie to make sure the feature functions properly.
Information collected on our applications
- Application diagnostics. This aggregated and anonymized data help us identify problems related to our app performance and updates. The collected information includes crash error reports.
- Anonymized app usage statistics. We collect aggregated statistical information about the activity of your account – the type and amount of files encrypted, and the date of encryption and sharing. This analytical information provides knowledge of how this app is being used so we can improve the user experience and the app itself.
- Device information. As in the case of when you visit our website, we collect some device information on our mobile application too. Such information is logged automatically and may include your IP address, browser type, operating system version and similar non-identifying information. We may use this information to monitor, develop and analyze the use of our Services.
NordLocker has no technical means to access your encrypted files. They are securely protected by your master password that is known only to you. NordLocker has access only to your public keys that do not contain any sensitive information.
We may use various third-party tools, such as Sendgrid and/or Iterable, to store mailing lists, send communications to you or confirm your signup to news subscriptions or waitlists. We select those tools very carefully, making sure they do not compromise your security and privacy. However, these tools may collect information about you, such as IP address, location, and device information as well as track actions such as unsubscribe or email forward. This information is used to optimize our email campaigns.
Your personal information may be processed in any country in which we engage service providers. When you use our Services, you acknowledge the transfer of your personal information outside of the country where you reside.
Only basic payment information is processed through our payment service providers and payment processing partners authorized to provide services within respective country (e.g. Mollymind AG, having its registered address at Riedstrasse 7, 6330 Cham, Switzerland).
We take data security very seriously at NordLocker and take all steps reasonably necessary to secure your data (whether technical, physical, or administrative). However, no company can guarantee the absolute security of internet communications. By using the Services, you expressly acknowledge that we cannot guarantee the security of any data provided to or received by us through the Services and that any information received from you through the website or our Services is provided at your own responsibility. If you have any questions about how we secure your information, contact us at [email protected].
Personal data of underage persons
Persons younger than 16 shall not use the NordLocker Services and provide any personal data to us without the supervision of parents or guardians. NordLocker does not knowingly collect personal information from persons younger than 16. Based on the above, it is presumed that any person using the Services and supplying personal data to us is at least 16 years of age. If a person younger than 16 or a person supplying wrongful data become known to NordLocker, NordLocker may immediately and without prior notice suspend his/her access to the Services.
Information for users in European Economic Area (EEA)
The European Union's General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) requires that we provide notice in a specific way to our European users about their privacy rights. Please find all the necessary information here.
In order to ensure the security of personal data, NordLocker employs various administrative, technical and physical security measures; however, it is your responsibility to exercise caution and reason when using the Services. You will be personally responsible if such action violates any third party’s privacy or any other rights, or any applicable law. Under no circumstances is NordLocker liable for the consequences of your unlawful activities, your willful and negligent activities violating applicable laws or third-party rights, as well as any circumstances, which may not have been reasonably controlled or foreseen.